This month has been slightly more challenging than the last.
I had such an intense focus about myself the first two blocks. I’m not sure if the third block's material was more difficult or what. I for sure feel slightly
knocked off balance. The program overall has been great. I’ve felt many times
since moving to New Orleans that I made the right decision to come here. So
even though, I feel a little out of whack right now, I’m sure I’ll be fine. The
current cardiovascular block has definitely given me a run for the money. The study
methods I previously used seem not to be as fruitful. I’m having trouble
commuting the various drugs to memory.
When we did the CBL and the simulation, concepts started to click. Moving
forward I need to think of myself in a clinical setting when studying these
drugs. I’m hoping that by visualizing a patient that’s reliant on me to know what
medications to give them will help make these drugs more significant. The
simulation exercise was by far the best thing I’ve done all month. Being in a
clinical setting and interacting with a “patient” reminded me of why I’m doing
all of this. The late-night study sessions seemed worth it when I was able to think
of the next drug to give the patient in order to relieve his pain.
March has felt like an extremely long month. I went from studying in my apartment for the NBME to being back at home with my family. This pandemic has changed all of our lives. Trying focus on this program has proven to be extremely challenging. My time in New Orleans allowed me to regain the confidence I lost during my senior year of undergrad. This program gave me time to believe in myself again. I owe so much to this chapter in my life. I am grateful to be in a space where I can learn about the virus and the evolving treatment strategies. Our environmental pharmacology class lecture over the virus helped dispel some of the rumors floating around. I then took this information back to my family. The virus hasn’t personally affected anyone I know. I think for a lot of people this won't feel real until someone they know becomes ill. What’s most concerning for me is that life as we know it won't ever be the same again. This will change the landscape of how medicine is practice...
Comments
Post a Comment